Sunday 13 June 2010

They think it's oil over…

So, did you all enjoy the big match between the United States and BP England? I thought there was some slick passing, though many of the tackles were pretty crude, and the defence leaked badly. 


Still, congratulations are due to England for achieving a creditable draw against a country where football ranks somewhere below competitive spitballing in the popularity stakes. Onwards and upwards, eh?


Actually, I didn't watch the match, other than ten minutes on a badly tuned TV in a takeaway. The streets were deserted - like the opening scenes of 28 Days Later. Instead, I watched Sense and Sensibility, the version with every Classically-Trained British Actor of the last 30 years. It was excellent, though obviously a novel of two halves, and poor Miss Dashwood (Emma Thompson) was left sick as a parrot until the lads Ferrers and Brandon turned it around in the dying minutes of extra time. 

4 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

We are watching the recording of that game right now, just saw the US's 'goal'. So sad, that poor English goalie must feel like crap and I am sure you English folk are not happy about it.

I love Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson, she is one of my favorite actresses. Now how do I convince my husband to watch it with me...

Newton Heath 18 said...

I had the luxury of watching on HD and missed the England goal as ITV cut to an add break.
Didn't miss Green's contribution to my good humour though.

The Plashing Vole said...

I'm with Emma on this one - though I'm sure England supporters are furious. The tabloids all went with 'The Hand of Clod' (a reference to Diego Maradona's handball cheating against England a few years ago).

How to convince your husband to watch Sense and Sensibility? Two words. Kate and Winslet.

Sue's Blog said...

The BBC version with Dominic Cooper is a million times better than the Emma Thompson one!