Tuesday 15 June 2010

Meanwhile, on my hard drive

I've mostly been listening to The Charlatans (Some Friendly and Up To Our Hips, both of which stand up better than I expected after 20 years), The Cure (Disintegration - still astonishing) and Smog's Dongs of Sevotion, which is brilliant. I particularly like 'Dress Sexy at My Funeral' (as an added bonus: John Peel's sainted voice at the start)



Next up though is a band most of you probably won't have come across. I can't even remember how I got to know The Bitter Springs - probably on a split 7" on a trendy record label. Whenever I play some, I wonder why I don't play (and buy) their music more often. They used to be Last Party and also perform as Subway Sect when Vic Godard's on tour.

The only two albums I have are Five Die Filming This Lazy Lark and Benny Hill's Wardrobe, titles which remind me of Half Man Half Biscuit, though The Bitter Springs are much more indie (in the old sense of miserable and self-pitying) than HMHB's folk-indie. Their website hasn't been updated since 2005 - but they're worth checking out if rumours that they're still alive are true.



One of my favourite Christmas songs:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive the homosocial undertones of the following remark, but how big is your hard drive Vole?!

The Plashing Vole said...

That's not homosocial, that's homosexual. There's a significant difference!

320Gb.I have 140 Gb of music - 14838 tracks. There's much more on vinyl at home… I got a bit carried away as a youth.