Monday 13 July 2009

Swindon, come in Swindon

At the moment, British SF is the best in the world: M John Harrison, Gwyneth Jones, Ken MacLeod, China Miéville and loads of others are writing future/science fiction which examines the state of the world and humanity in fascinating, mindblowing ways: SF has always been a more profound genre than the literary pages allow. I'm interested in the hard-science and political versions, which is why I love MacLeod's work so much - many of his books represent an anarchist-Trotskyist Scottish galactic civilisation. What's not to love?
The Guardian has a piece on this theme today.

(Post title is from Eddy Izzard's riff on the British space expedition).

3 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

What's not to love?

a) Anarchist
b) Trotskyist
c) Scottish
d) Science fiction
e) Eddie Izzard
f) The Guardian

In all seriousness, I do like Eddie Izzard, but I went to see him in Brighton once and he was shit, and then didn't come out to sign autographs even though we waited 2 hours in the cold :(

The Plashing Vole said...

Ewar, I'll convert you one day. Or have you consigned to a re-education camp.

Sorry he was rubbish - I guess even the best ones have off days, though that's no consolation if you've paid to see him. Why did you want his autograph after that?

Ewarwoowar said...

My sister is obsessed with him! At least, she was...