Sunday 26 July 2009

Trenchermen (and women): your ideas please

Oh yes, my youngest sister thinks that this blog needs feeding. More specifically, she'd like culinary inspiration, although the last time I was home she produced stunning home-made Greek lamb and bulgur wheat burgers and a cumin-flavoured salad to melt the heart of a vegetarian Turk!

Neal's been obsessing about cheese ice-cream all week (a taste he acquired in Mexico), he once produced an amazing gumbo, and Kate's an expert with the slow cooker. What about the rest of you? I love cooking, though long hours make it hard to summon up the energy. I do once recall doing a Belgian beer-and-butter soup which my guests didn't love but usually I stick to good old country food: rabbit, pheasant and so on.

3 comments:

neal said...

I think my favourite creation of recent times came last autumn when I had a glut of beetroot from my vege patch and was trying to come up with different ways of cooking them and tried a beetroot and venison curry. Roast the beetroot first to bring out the sweetness, then blend them to make a thick sauce. Can't remember exactly what spices I used but it was sure to involve cumin, coriander and cardamom seeds. The earthy, slightly sweet beetroot goes really well with the gamey venison, but I reckon it'd be a winner with any meat or paneer for the veggies. It looks cool too, a big pile of maroon, with the added bonus that it makes your shit go the same colour the next day.

neal said...

What have you got in your vege patch? I remember broad beans, peas and courgettes. I've been slicing my courgettes longways, salting them, rub with garlic, bit of olive oil and grill.

neal said...

If you get really hungry and need a cheap meal you could always try this:

http://www.shelfordfeast.co.uk/guineapig.html

I apologise in advance.