Sunday 26 July 2009

Death and taxes - only one of these is inevitable for Lord Paul

I mentioned, a few days ago, that my institution's Chancellor, Lord Paul, is a tax-avoider: even though he sits in the House of Lords speaking and voting on current issues, he doesn't think this elevated position comes with a responsibility to pay taxes in this country - so he's declared himself 'non-domiciled' for tax purposes, essentially claiming that he doesn't live here.

These selfish bastards have now been prevented from donating to political parties, after a good deal of pressure on the government, so that's something at least, though I'm still not happy that someone who can propose, promote, speak for or against, vote for or against, is allowed to hide their money from a democratically-elected government.

Lord Paul, to say the least, is in a bit of a huff about this, and doesn't seem to understand the insulting nature of his position. He says he's a law-abiding citizen, and I have no reason to doubt this, but avoiding the taxes that we little people pay while wielding power is hardly in the spirit of the law:

Me, non-doms and the law

Your article "Tycoons pledge to stop bankrolling Labour if 'non-dom' tax bill passes" (News, last week) repeated the misconception that I once said that I am capable of bankrolling the Labour party. I never said that.

When I talked to your reporter, I made it plain that if the bill is passed which prohibits non-doms from giving money to political parties, there is no way I will be able to make a donation. That bill became law last Monday and as a law-abiding citizen I shall, of course, respect it. I will only do what the law allows. I think Labour is the best party for Britain. Gordon Brown's contribution to saving this country from economic collapse is recognised throughout the world.
Lord Paul
London W1

No comments: