Friday 1 April 2011

Poor Sean Duffy

Listen to this:
I can guarantee you, or most of you, I guarantee that I have more debt than all of you. With 6 kids, I still pay off my student loans. I still pay my mortgage. I drive a used minivan. If you think I'm living high on the hog, I've got one paycheck. So I struggle to meet my bills right now. Would it be easier for me if I get more paychecks? Maybe, but at this point I'm not living high on the hog. I think you should all take a step back.
It's heartbreaking. A man who chose to have too many kids is struggling to pay his bills and we should all sympathise. His statement is in response to a man asking if it was right for a Congressman to earn such a massive multiple of the average wage.

And I would, were his 'one paycheck' not $174,000 plus the free healthcare and various benefits most Americans don't get… all provided by the US government, because Mr. Duffy is a Congressman. Not only that, but he's a Republican from Wisconsin, which has just abolished union rights to allow him reduce public workers' wages and working conditions.
"I'm attacking the leadership of the union because they're greedy, and they're selfish and they're self-interested," New Jersey's Republican Gov. Chris Christie told a conservative conference Wednesday.
A new teacher in Wisconsin earns roughly $30,000 (£18,500), rising to $50,000 (£31,000) towards the end of his/her career - without all the benefits Mr. Duffy takes home. Duffy 'earns' three times Wisconsin's median wage. The state's average wage is about $52,000.

No comments: