Thursday 11 March 2010

Your partner disconnected

I'm off to hear Arthur Scargill solve the world's problems tonight. In his honour, it's time for a haircut. I'm thinking bias-cut with highl… no, I'm really not. As usual, it'll be a short back and sides, requiring no further thought or attention until next time.

Has anyone tried this ChatRoulette game yet? I toyed with trying it and live-blogging my encounters as a media studies adventure, but realised that I wouldn't have anything to say to anyone who didn't switch me off immediately. I suspect Ewar would enjoy teasing other players.

In case you've missed the fun, it's a game in which you switch on your webcam and get randomly connected to anyone else on the ChatRoulette website. According to reliable journalistic reports, it's mostly naked men who haven't got the hang of courtship, and think that demonstrating that their genitalia work under digital manipulation is a shortcut to romance. It's interesting as a phenomenon, and a predictable result of making the technology available, but I'm not sure that it's going to transform human relations.

If you don't believe me, have a look at these encounters (all safe for work).

1 comment:

PRhero said...

Jon Stewart in his Daily Show last week laughed his head off connecting to it and chatting with half naked men.. worth watching - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart/4od