Tuesday 30 March 2010

Santa's been

Returning to my desk after a few days away, I find that presents have been distributed - and not all from me to me.

OK, the usual haul of books and CDs from online retailers has arrived: Emma Pollock's lovely new album The Law of Large Numbers (in very elegant circuit diagram packaging) and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and the Cairo Gang's The Wonder Show of the World provide a new soundtrack while I read the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies prequel Dawn of the Dreadfuls. I think this classic/slasher mash-up trend is probably exhausted, but this one looks good. I also received David Kessler's horrifying examination of Big Food Companies, The End of Overeating, Tony Judt's raging-against-the-dying-of-the-light Ill Fares the Land (I think the title is from this Oliver Goldsmith poem, 'The Deserted Village'), John Rawls's' amazing philosophical work A Theory of Justice (summary here), McEwan's Solar (more from habit than enthusiasm) and finally, thanks to the wonders of Librarything's Early Reviewer scheme, Anna Gutierrez Garcia Moreno's Roman Quarries in the Northeast of Hispania (Modern Catalonia). It really is the last word for anyone who wants to know (and see pictures of) Roman Quarries in the Northeast of Hispania (Modern Catalonia).

More than that: a bottle of wine and a card appeared on my desk. I proofread my friend Olga's PhD thesis. In lieu of a fee, I requested a book of her choice that I should read. Instead, she's given me a £100 gift card for a certain online bookseller. OMFG, as the kids say. It really is way too generous. But hey, I'll manage to use it.

3 comments:

Imaginary Friend said...

Is it spent yet then? Silly question.

The Plashing Vole said...

No. Haven't touched it. Bought a couple of used books today, for work.

Cheeky git.

Imaginary Friend said...

I'm wounded by your harsh words.

Bet you can't last the week out without spending it though!