Wednesday 25 November 2009

What a very exciting day (3)

I spent the morning at the Council headquarters, at a meeting of the Licensing Committee. We were there (me in a suit again) to discuss the application to open a restaurant and takeaway right underneath my flat.

It was democracy in action: councillors, legal officers, the Fire Authority, my landlord, the applicants and a local journalist. It was actually pleasant - points were made politely, discussed seriously and consensus reached. The application was granted on the basis that residents' needs are catered for and the owners seemed very willing to accommodate us. I also got the chance to moan to Environmental Health about the two nightclubs across the road, and they're already on it.

Then, I got to moan to the journalist - a nice guy - about the horribly rightwing nature of his paper, to commiserate with him on the appallingly low pay of journalists (how can anyone do a decent professional job on £20,000, the salary for a senior reporter?) and we discussed the importance of local journalism as a watchdog (honoured more in the breach than the observance).

All this was conducted with a rather sore head, unfortunately

3 comments:

Zoot Horn said...

Put those earplugs on ebay.
Hopefully

Lou said...

Can't help but ask Vole - did you knowingly move into a flat across the road from two nightclubs and above (temporarily?) vacant restaurant premises and now have an issue with those businesses undertaking their trade?

The Plashing Vole said...

Lou - I am a dimwit. I knew they were there, but didn't realise that the flat would lack any kind of soundproofing at all, and that said establishments would be a) open until 4.30 a.m. most days of the week and that b) they'd regularly breach all environmental laws. I should have at least looked at the place during nightclub trading hours - the landlord mysteriously preferred office hours!

I don't begrudge their existence - like you imply, caveat emptor - but would like them to pay a little attention to the law. I'm sure we can co-exist!