Thursday 19 November 2009

Aarghhh. La France perfide.

Good morning! I'm feeling fantastic and sickened at one and the same time. I went fencing in Shrewsbury last night for the first time in an age, worked hard, lost some fights I shouldn't have and won some I also shouldn't have. Saw old friends and got a workout.

It also meant that I didn't have to watch the Ireland match which, as kind comments on the previous post and this report show, was a travesty: Ireland went out to a goal produced by two hand balls. Everyone's bending over to avoid calling Thierry Henry a cheat, but that's what he's done - and I've always admired him. Yes, the referee and linesmen should have seen it, but he should have had done the honourable thing: but perhaps that just shows how out of step I am with modern sport. Then again, acknowledging the other guy's hit in fencing if the ref hasn't seen it is still done at all levels in fencing.

Who to support now? England? Obviously I'm pleased for Lou's New Zealand. Now Ireland's out, they have a clear run to the final. Ahem.

Right, back to my Othello lecture - got to have it ready for the Braille translator by 11.

4 comments:

Lou said...

Shocking result for Ireland. We could certainly do with every extra bit of support so jump on board - nothing quite like the feel good factor you get from supporting the underdog.

Ewarwoowar said...

What did everyone expect from A) A Frenchie and B) Someone who played for Arsenal?

Just mentioning Othello there reminds me - this Shakespeare annotated bibliography has been the hardest thing I've done since I've been here. Fact. Whoever dreamed it up deserves a poke in the eye. It was you, wasn't it?

Benjamin Judge said...

You may as well support England as you are possibly the most English person on earth.

You are aware, are you not, that just before the first time Jo met you, and had no idea what you looked like, I said to her "you can't miss him, he will be the most English-looking person here." She spotted you before I did, picking you out from a crowd from about 100 yards!

The Plashing Vole said...

Hmmm. Wish I knew what that meant, Ben.
The English have been very kind about the result, perhaps because they have this love-hate thing with the French.

David Ginola was very urbane and fair-minded about it all on Newsnight last night.