Monday 19 October 2009

All's right with the world

Well, obviously it isn't, but I've had a good few days after the intense pressure of last week. The sun's shining and it's a beautiful crisp autumn day. Leaves are piling up and the chill is invigorating.

Added to that, I've been to the theatre with my friends and then had a weekend in beautiful North Wales with more friends.

The Revenger's Tragedy was… interesting. The play itself is dark, bloody and malevolent - brilliant. The production was… rubbish. Very poor acting for the most part, as though melodramatic lines required melodramatic acting (or in some cases, speaking the lines as though they were in an unfamiliar and unpleasant language). The set consisted of a curtain and four chairs. More than a third of the audience left at the interval, including one of my many bosses, but not including, unfortunately, the drunk posh schoolchildren who talked loudly throughout, despite my feisty chum Hilary requesting them to 'cut it out, arseholes'! After that - a fine curry and a nightcap at my place, where my library was criticised for its shortage of Shelley (guilty).

2 comments:

Benjamin. said...

Surely the lack of Shelley is accounted for with the vast collection of such variety in particular dated Welsh literature.

Benjamin Judge said...

There isn't a lot of middle ground with theatre is there? It is so often very good or very, very bad. I must admit that I am something of an interval walker when I am not enjoying myself (though nowadays Jo tends to get the deciding vote) I find that otherwise I sit there squirming with the urge to shout at the actors the way I might at the tv.

It is, I feel, far less offensive to leave an empty seat than it is to bellow "oh for fucks sake!" in a crowded auditorium.

Props (if that is still the correct term - I felt it was fittingly theatrical) to Hilary for the 'cut it out, arseholes' comment. Too few theatre/concert goers have the bottle to tell idiots to shut up.