Wednesday 5 August 2009

Another day, another present

This morning, Ben (with stunning generosity), has sent Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual. I think I see what he's up to with this, the Pantera and the Faith No More. He thinks I listen solely to fey, twee indiepop and need TOUGHENING UP!

Actually though, I loved this album when I was a young man and in my prime, so I'm very happy to have it again. This morning I started with the Sufjan Stevens cover of 'O Holy Night' from the sometimes overblown Songs for Christmas, then the Salvation Army Choir's rendition, then straight into Fucking Hostile (Pantera) and now I'm listening to Stockhausen, so it's an eclectic day already. I've dealt with a lost and confused student and done another 60 lengths in the pool, so I've sort of achieved things.

How are you getting on with The Culture, Cheese and Pineapple? My choice is coming up soon, and it's a humdinger.

Andrew Marr and Karlheinz Stockhausen - separated at birth? Marr does sort of conduct while interviewing, with his crazy long arms.


3 comments:

Dan said...

One of your students sent me one of Stockhausen's pieces. You can see what Sonic Youth listen(ed) to. It was good. And Sufjan Stevens Illinoise and Michigan records were great. Wonder how he's getting on with the other 48 state plan?

The Plashing Vole said...

Glad you liked the Stockhausen. Wonder who that student was. I haven't heard 'Michigan' but liked most of Illinoise - a little self-indulgent in places.

Kate said...

Michigan is good, as is Seven Swans, but Illinoise is his best work, I adore it, it's so transcendent. It makes an ideal driving CD as it is so captivating and transporting it keeps you happy and not sleepy or bored and renders road rage nigh on impossible! :-)