Tuesday 24 February 2009

Enlightening the masses

I'm doing tutorials for my second-level students today - two have come from 24 so far, and they're very clear on what to do and how to do it. This is the conundrum of teaching - the motivated ones come for help and often only need reassurance, while the people I really worry about either think they don't need help or are too worried to ask for it. 

I can understand the latter - I always stressed in private when I was an undergrad - but I'm not sure how to fix this. I don't want to make tutorials compulsory because this isn't a school and compulsion doesn't help with the wider process of their educational trajectory, and I don't want to single people out. All I can do is stress to them how available I am and that I've been through the same problems they have. Any ideas, you academic readers? 

Update: two more came, one nervous but sorted, another rather lacking in preparation. What really depressed me is the surprise registered when I used their names. It's a large institution with too many packed classes. I'd love to know them all better - it would help them ask for help when struggling, they'd feel more cared-about, but it's hard when there can be 120 or more in a lecture and 20-30 in an hour-long seminar. 

4 comments:

Benjamin Judge said...

Although I am not an academic writer may I suggest that undergrad, though vulgar, is not an especially useful, or indeed short, abbreviation of undergraduate. Undergrad? Why not go the full hog and refer to Wolvo Uni while you are at it?

The Plashing Vole said...

You need to develop fewer, better opinions on fewer, more important topics!

Benjamin. said...

I agree that many students are too anxious to go to their tutors to discuss an issue hence the importance of email however I also think its pride that ultimately is their downfall as low grades will count against them. I'm one such student who has this problem, in another world we could send our tutors essays to look upon but in reality they have little time to read over 200 pieces.

Lauren said...

It is good to know there seems to be a lecturer that cares and wants to get to know students on first name terms!
Cerainly makes you feel more recognised than just some cog in the academic machine. I am an 'undergrad' myself (repeating modules failed in the first year)I was foolish and did not really try that hard. Although I know i am capable, a kick up the arse in he right diection probably would have prevented me failing, but I didn;t ask for help - patly ecause i did not want to look 'stupid'.
It is daunting in your first year especially, to ask for help, as you sometimes feel you are exoected to already know all this stuff or have some background knowledge upon it. In my own personal experience, after coming out of college with my English alevel, going to uni and getting used to the diferent system was more difficult. I found lecturers through no fault of thier own do not really get to know you on a personal level, to them you seem to be just a number in a class or a tick on the register. This is why I found it hard to ask for help last year, and it has taken me faling two modules to understand I was being foolish, and should have just took the help that was offered to me.
Ohwell can't change that now, we all live and learn. I've got to admit, I am now finding the lectures a lot more interesting, although in my opinion they are far too short. I find myself coming out of them with a crippled hand frm furiously scribbling down the notes that will not appear on wolf.