Wednesday 12 August 2009

This is really starting to grind my gears

Courtesy of the Guardian's Diary.

US Investor's Business Daily:
"The controlling of medical costs in countries such as Britain through rationing, and the health consequences thereof, are legendary. The stories of people dying on a waiting list or being denied altogether read like a horror script … People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the UK, where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless."

Stephen Hawking after treatment at Addenbrooke's NHS hospital:
"I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS… I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."
Motor Neurone Disease life expectancy: 2-5 years after diagnosis.
Stephen Hawking's diagnosis: 1963 (aged 21). Age now: 67.

So, Investor's Business Daily, you're a lying sack of shit.

6 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

I was talking to someone the other day about living in the US when I'm older, and I said to him that the one thing that would put me off doing that is the healthcare they have over there.

The NHS is a genuinely brilliant thing, and I've always feared that we take it for granted over here.

The Plashing Vole said...

Me too. Canada's cool though - high standard of living, virtually no gun crime even though gun ownership is as popular as the US, and a proper health service. Colder too.

Dan said...

Canada's where I want to live. Particularly Calgary. The weather would be perfect, not that I've been there. But it looks great, and I've heard good things.

Graham Linehan, Father Ted bloke, agrees with you on the NHS front too. Last time I had to use the NHS for myself they were bloody brilliant, to be honest

Benjamin. said...

I cannot fault the NHS. The good people kept me alive when I was extremely premature and operated immediately to sustain the heartbeat. If this has been in the US, I'd died certainly considering I had meningitis and pneumonia soon after; the insurance bills would of toppled the mortgage payments and my family would of had to decide between our home or a dying little boy.

Steven Hawking' case is akin to that of many millions over the years and whilst there has been a long waiting list, tragic circumstances and deranged doctors it has been extremely worthwhile.

The Plashing Vole said...

Well said, Demented. I've had some great experiences with the NHS too. But's that for another entry.

Zoot Horn said...

I love the NHS - healthcare should be the foundation of any modern civilisation worth its salt. Myself, I purposely use it only minimally in order to not overtax its resources.

Oh god. There's wee coming out of my navel...