Friday 29 May 2009

Living the high life

I've often teased Emma for being a typical Man U fan: foreign, lives a long way from Manchester etc. Now I know it's true because I've just received this text:

Just boarded. Drinking champagne. It's a hard life.

She's not flying with Ryanair, that's for sure.

What are you all doing this weekend? I'm going for a walk around Bridgnorth tomorrow, in the company of the Map Twats. Then we're going to find Birmingham's finest indie clubs to celebrate Dan's birthday. On Sunday, I'm going to finish all the marking. Then on Monday I'm off to Aston Uni for a conference on how to get an academic career. I always thought 'career' was what happened when your brakes failed…

Then on Tuesday it's off to Walsall to explain to the PGCE external examiner what a brilliant teacher I am (ho ho ho).

5 comments:

Kate said...

Having a lie in, going to see In the Loop(finally!), gardening, drinking cider in the sun, finishing making my jumper, watching season 2 of The Wire, and finishing off a job application. Why are you going to a conference on academic careers when you already have one? Don't mean to be impertinant, just curious that's all!

The Plashing Vole said...

More cider!

I don't have one: I have a part-time job in a subject I know nothing about, and a temporary one (until September) in the one I do know about, one measly publication and little time to write my book…

Kate said...

Well my current mantra when gearing up for a life in academia is publications, publications, publications, or conference papers at least - you need to get yourself RAEtastic, you already have plenty of good teaching experience, so you're halfway there. Please pass on any gems of wisdom from the conference!

The Plashing Vole said...

Will do. I did it the other way round - tons of teaching and almost no publishing. Must remedy that.

Zoot Horn said...

My study of the role of moleskin in the works of D.H. Lawrence and Kenneth Grahame still fails to find a publisher. It's my twin brother's wife's 50th year of resisting metamorphosing into a beetle, so I'm off to Chorley to pretend he married a human. Then up early sunday to do a huge and expensive food-shop so I can prepare a meal for step-grandchildren that don't like me. It's all family fun down my way.