Sunday 10 May 2009

Idle thoughts of an idle fellow

I should be working, but really I'm just waiting for my dinner to cook. I'm having free-range rare breed ham hock with vegetables, casseroled in dry cider. Hence I've had the first glass of cider in over a decade - bearable, though I'm not sure why you'd want to drink it rather than cook with it.

Anyway, I thought I'd direct you to feministing.com, Jessica Valenti's fun, furious and feminist blog (not just for women). I've read it on and off for a while, but an interview with her in today's Observer reminded me to recommend her.

Oh dear - wildlife show on 2 just said, very solemnly, 'albatross chicks are sitting ducks'.
And now the voice-over has claimed that the Easter Island statues were built because the islanders 'had time on their hands'. So much for the 'inform' and 'educate' bit of the BBC's mission.

1 comment:

Benjamin Judge said...

If you thought that was bad did you see The Incredible Human Journey? I was literally screaming at the telly. "So how did they manage to cross this desert?" Well it wasn't a desert was it? It was largely fertile land wasn't it? Twenty minutes later "So it turns out that a lot of this desert was once fertile land" I know. I told YOU twenty minutes ago you stupid presenter. I told YOU.

Never have I seen so few facts spread so thinly over an hour. The really annoying thing is the presenter has a PhD. She clearly isn't as stupid as the programme is. So has the BBC told her to dumb down so as not to scare viewers afraid of smart women or has she personally got an enormous contempt for her viewers? Worst. Documentary. Ever.