Friday 8 May 2009

What's the worst piece of software you've ever used?

A bit nerdy I know, but I'm boiling with fury.
Windows doesn't count, by the way. Not that I use it.
I'm nominating PebblePad. If you work in the real world, it's a proprietary e-portfolio designed by someone in Wolves University.

PebblePad has been designed to three key tenets: advanced functionality, maximum flexibility and simple usability

Bollocks. I'm a semi-professional geek. I love computing, so if I'm screaming at this pixellated turd, it's definitely crap. It's older than my gran and less user-friendly. To upload a document requires a training session and a MINIMUM of ten actions, none of them intuitive. It runs slower than than a disabled snail and has all the grace of a Bosch gargoyle. Half the PGCE course was spent trying to make us use this bloody thing, until they realised that the only way to do it was to make us submit our work using it. The effect, however, is to reinforce my hatred and determination that none of you, students, will ever have to go near it on any of my courses again (if I keep my job after this post of course).

I'm having to listen to a lot of Sigur Ros to keep my blood pressure down.

I'm adding 'use PebblePad' to the 'list of things I won't do for love'.

4 comments:

Abacus said...

Wow! You are so cool.

I love your blog. It is the best.

Sigur Ros are my favourites. They always keep me calm when I'm trying to write and Martin is watching the stupid football.

Ewarwoowar said...

It is indeed rubbish, we had a session at the beginning of the year introducing us to it. I haven't used it since.

theunluckydip said...

Yes, it is absolutly awful. Looks like pre-school software and is as useful as a one legged man in an arse-kicking contest

Last year in a module on market research, we were, on a weekly basis, basically given a sales pitch on how good it was and that we were testing it for them. (apparently) The lecturer seemed hardly bothered about what he was trying to teach and more about making sure we provided positive feedback on pebble-pad (which is probably why he insisted on the sales pitch every week)

I gave him my feedback, sing as many techie terms as possible and sure enough, he never asked me for feedback again.

Extra: Just looked on the pebble pad website and he appears, all be it briefly, to be in one of the promotional videos.

Zoot Horn said...

My girlfriend's brother has been trying to use it on his PGCE this year, but he's never got it to work. There ought to be a veto on being made to use in-house stuff. There's an obvious clash of interests evrywhere along the line and I think it might constitute consumer abuse (must check with law dept).