Thursday 11 June 2009

Irish eyes aren't smiling

So Ireland go out to New Zealand, comprehensively beaten - but then very few of Ireland's team are professional cricketers (or Irish, come to think of it). It was fun mixing it with the big boys though, and getting further than Australia in a sport a long way down the national pecking order (football, hurling, rugby, soccer, horse-racing, golf - yuck) is very funny.

I'm still not convinced by Twenty20 - it's the equivalent of table football. Give me the slow, thoughtful strategy of a Test match, occasionally enlivened by a wicked spell of fast bowling or the deviousness of a good spinner.

1 comment:

Benjamin. said...

I agree fully with your views on Twenty 20 cricket. In Yorkshire we have the fantastic Headingly ground (of which I've stayed in this year at Valentines, highly recommended) and the last thing we wish to see is our test traditions hampered by this deprived game where foturne favours those who hit a boundary once every so often.

The clear example of this is the absence of Andrew Strauss from the England team; his tactical brain and love for test cricket sees him far from loving of Twenty 20.

Also, Vole I was in need of a person to provide a reference on my behalf to the leading disability charity I mentioned in my blog and you came to mind. So if you get an email from them, do be alarmed.

My story shall be on your way soon too.