Friday 12 June 2009

Weep, you brutes

I'm off home now - the first time in months that I've gone home before 7 p.m. Before I go, I'd like to plug a song I heard for the first time today.

Unfortunately, I can't post The Deer Friend (vocals) with Zoot Horn (guitar) performing 'Waltzing's for Dreamers' utterly heartbreakingly, as this blog can't do sound files. Instead, here's Richard Thompson's original, followed by June Tabor's slow, sadder version - which is still not as evocative as Deer/Horn's version (see what I did there?). I thought I knew a lot of Thompson's stuff, but he always has something more to surprise us. I've just had to buy the Tabor album, The Quiet Eye.

Have a good weekend. I'm calling into the Great Western later, then off to Doves at Delamere Forest tomorrow, so won't be blogging at all until Monday.


6 comments:

Zoot Horn said...

Wow - I love you soooo much.

The Deer Friend said...

Thank you very much, Deer Vole.

The Deer Friend said...

Oh, and now even saxophone! Please give me my dear, genious Zoot Horn!!!

intelliwench said...

Nice to be reminded of Richard Thompson . . . will have to go dust off my mouldy old LPs and get all nostalgic this afternoon.

Zoot Horn said...

Everyone who saw the Deer Friend sing was bowled over by her, and providing backing for her is one of the highlights of my life. Let's make it a lifelong thing and do it whenever we're in the same time zone! Looking forward to the next gig...

The Camel Friend said...

We are always in the same zone...
Well, first we take Oxford, then we take Cairo!