Wednesday 5 May 2010

To boldly go…

The inaugural lecture of the CTTR is by Prof Jan Borm, an über-academic: German, Chair of English Literature at a French university, giving us a tour d'horizon of Arctic studies in German, English, French, Russian, Danish, East Siberian, Czech and Inuit cultures, taking in Foucault, Rousseau and everything in between, delivered with panache.

OK, I have an academic crush. And after the warm white wine, I'm going to break into my quarantined office to (as Faustus puts it) 'burn my books'.

Author to look up: Jean Malaurie. One of his four volumes of autobiography about his 32 Arctic journeys, Hummocks, is available in English and sounds fascinating.

2 comments:

Graham Quirk said...

mmm, so the vole is taking up necromancy? It was inevitable at some stage.

Zoot Horn said...

I have to share my authentic Icelandic lullaby with the world. It's from W.H. Auden and Louis MacNeice's Letters From Iceland (1937):

Sleep, you black-eyed pig.
Fall into a deep pit full of ghosts.