Tuesday 18 May 2010

Nearly the Big Sleep

I know these are the most dreaded words in the English language, with the possible exception of 'I'm not racist, but…' (which I heard yesterday), but here goes…

I had an odd dream last night. The fire alarm sounded, and after a while I dragged myself out of bed, in my old family home. I then went into another room, where a completely deaf friend slept (a guy I haven't spoken to since 1993, and who never visited my house) and got him out of bed. I then woke up and realised that an alarm was going off in real life, where I live now. I didn't panic, or evacuate the building. Instead, I wearily put earplugs in and went back to sleep.

It didn't occur to me, in my befuddled state, that my building could have been on fire. My subconscious assured me that it must be next door, it must be a false alarm, that I'd be fine. I needed the sleep, after all. Only this morning did my stupidity hit home… I could have lost all my lovely books!

No comments: