Thursday 11 June 2020

Daily photos no. 51: School Games 2012





This was a fun one - the School Games were used to test all the olympic venues down in East London, which meant the surroundings and trimmings were all fantastic. It also exposed the kids to a number of Tory sports administrators and ministers. Or do I mean the other way round? Because Sebastian Coe and Jeremy Hunt learned within seconds of starting their speeches that political dad jokes don't work in front of 3000 children who've queued for two hours to get into a an opening ceremony mostly featuring men in suits. Mindful of my official duty not to warp the minds of kids I'm meant to be looking after, I kept quiet. After a few minutes though, it became clear that the athletes didn't need any encouragement: the scorn with which these embarrassing performances were greeted gave me faith in the next generation.

Oh, and there was some sport too.

I'm not sure why the mock press pack were dressed up like it's 1953 either


Denise Lewis was wonderful - clearly enjoyed spending time with all the kids, and they loved her. 


Celebration

…and defeat



Despair
Satisfaction
One of my coaches taught us how to do this…and get away with it. 







Please, no more!
This is how much bend there is in a foil











A quiet moment. 

No comments: