Wednesday 13 May 2020

Daily Photos no. 31: Yet more (royal) nuptials

2011 seems to have been a year for weddings. Two days after the Co. Kerry one came my 2nd sister's wedding (there are 6 of us: they didn't get married in order, which makes me slightly itchy). It was on the same day as that of the royals whose names I can never remember, and my happy couple marked it as you can see. Whether this is a satirical gesture or not, I'm not sure: my sister has a worrying addiction to the online celeb-obsessed version of a certain deeply unpleasant newspaper and indeed used to do shifts for its Irish edition. That reminds me of my brother's wedding. I was talking to a nice young couple when I casually asked what they did. They informed me that they worked respectively for the Mail and the Sunand they didn't even have the grace to look sorry. In time-honoured tabloid reporter tradition, I made my excuses and left, pausing only to note that it's true what they say about the gutter press: written by Oxbridge-educated intellectuals who should know better for the consumption of an imagined lumpenproletariat.




No comments: