Thursday 5 March 2009

Albrecht, you poor deluded man

Albrecht objects (see comments) to my inclusion of Lauren Laverne in my list of strong women who aren't Margaret Thatcher.

Well, little Albrecht, you must be quite young if you don't remember the glorious splash made by Kenickie, which consisted of aforesaid Lauren, Marie du Santiago, Emmy-Kate and Johnny X (the runt of the litter). I think young Lauren has made the best of her talents - she's clearly the future of Radio 4 (I hope) and all other thoughtful outlets. If we have to have under-informed celebrities fronting anything vaguely cultural (so as not to scare off ver kids), at least Lauren's genuinely curious and eager to learn.

Damn. I forgot Charlotte Green. And Jessica Stevenson.

4 comments:

Benjamin. said...

I agree with observation of Laverne being possible future of Radio 4 as she is kooky yet intelligent. She's Jo Wiley with a brain cell and prettier appearance hence why she appears on television frequently.

Also kudos for the Jessica Stevenson choice, comic masterpiece that was Spaced that she co wrote with Simon Pegg was largely underrated.

Anonymous said...

You forgot Jordan

From Blue To Green said...

The fact you feel the need to compile a list of powerful women is completely sexist. Please stop!

The Plashing Vole said...

Mo: you've missed the point: I was accused of sexism BECAUSE I expressed my dislike for Thatcher - so I pointed out that there are many women whom I admire. I revere a large number of people, some of whom are women. I felt I needed to point this out simply because someone suggested that I only disliked Thatcher because she was a strong woman.