Thursday 12 August 2010

All the fun of the fair

I love funfairs. I won't go on any of the rides, except the dodgems - and that's probably because I can't drive anything else. An American told me yesterday that over there, the object is to avoid all the other cars. Say it ain't so? What a waste of time.

But I digress. What do I love about fairs? The neon, gaudy colours, airbrush painting, flashing lights, competing sound systems, over-excited kids, the slight air of disreputability, candy floss and onions and doughnuts fighting for olfactory dominance: all these things come to mind, the Ferris wheel scene in The Third Man, plus the wonderful, terrifying seaside fair scenes in Brighton Rock (books or films).

So I went out with my camera last night. We wandered through Bird's Euroshow Fair, then caught a set by The Walls, formerly The Stunning, whose biggest hit was the sublime 'Brewing Up A Storm'. All the pictures are here, but these are some favourites (click on them for larger images).

How's this for shameless opportunism?






More Obama plagiarism


2 comments:

Christine said...

Another excellent set of photos Voley, although I was particularly surprised to see the election campaign poster of the Jewish mayor. On second glance, however, it appears that I mistook an unfortunately placed attaching device for a yarmulke.

What larks.

The Plashing Vole said...

Glad you like them. I thought it was a halo at first!