Thursday 16 December 2010

Thursday conundrum

Quite simply, have I been robbed or have I done a good deed at Christmastide?

I was on the last train from Shrewsbury last night, about 12.15. As it pulled into the Dark Place, a girl in her teens (probably - everyone looks young to me), dragging a heavy suitcase nervously asked how much a taxi to Birmingham would cost - she'd just realised that there were no more trains in that direction. I told her it would be £40 and she looked stricken. She said another male passenger had offered her a place to stay 'and a hug' if she needed one, which sounded distinctly creepy to me.

So I offered to lend her the cash and we wandered into town to find a cashpoint. I gave her the cash, pointed her towards a taxi office and asked her name (Sophie), where she was from (Oswestry) and if she actually had somewhere to go at the other end - she said she did. She seemed reticent, perhaps nervous/scared, possibly having learning difficulties. I got the sense that she may be running away: suitcase, late journey, no planning done.

Hope she's OK.

3 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

I don't know, but it makes a good short story.

Vole, why does there appear to be a dinosaur holding a plane on your blog?

The Plashing Vole said...

It's from the Student demonstration Google Map: 12.25 'Godzilla emerges from the Thames to join protest'. I copied it to show everyone and now it's a permanent resident, somehow. I can't get rid of it but I quite like it.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely thing to do! :) I hope she's ok too.