Monday 14 January 2013

Boulot metro dodo

Doonesbury's got it in one today - on the subject of blogging. Poor Rick Redfern was a respected newspaper journalist until social media's tsunami of Reckons obliterated his career (click to enlarge).


You may have noticed that I'm blogging a lot less recently. Partly it's post-holiday, partly the ridiculous workload I have on at the moment, but a lot of it is because I have less to say. Or rather, I've said it all already. This government's been in power for 30 months and they're as predictably evil as I said they would be on Day 1. I'm still outraged, but also weary and depressed by them. On other subjects, I'm reading pretty much the same or similar stuff, so there's not a lot that's new there, and there's an awful lot of great material that I'd love to share with you but can't – like the hilarious things people say in disciplinary hearings when I'm trying to defend them, for instance.

So anyway, today's post includes:
Willie Thompson's history of the Communist Party of Great Britain, The Good Old Cause, which will be quite a contrast to my current reading, a compendium of PG Wodehouse's Psmith novels. Also Daniel Williams' Black Skin, Blue Books: African Americans and Wales 1845-1945. There's a good quote on the back from Henry Louis Gates basically saying 'who knew?'. I'd have thought that there's plenty of scope for a post-1945 sequel too. I also received Sing-Sing's second album (they're the remains of the long-lamented Lush) and a Mambo Taxi album, out of sheer curiosity.

I've bought quite a few books over the Christmas break, virtually all work-related. Collie and Fraser's George Borrow: A Bibliographical Study, Collie's George Borrow: Eccentric (annoying know-all git-wizard, more like) and Hugh Olliff's On Borrow's Trail - a beautifully ambiguous title. I also got Peter Watts' Béhémoth, a great big SF novel. I didn't mean to buy it in French - not paying attention - but I'll get through it.

Anyway, back to work. I'm about to send off my George Borrow and O. M. Edwards article. My colleague Steve has read it and apart from objecting to my overuse of colons, reckons it's A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, which is good enough for me.

No comments: