Thursday 19 January 2012

Despicable human being of the day

I'm not sure who Mark Wahlberg is. Is he Marky Mark, or was that someone else? Either way, he's got a mouth on him:

"If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.' 
Mark Wahlberg on 9/11 flight he was originally scheduled to be aboard





Way to go. Does he really think that there wasn't anybody on that plane capable of bravery? Or that he's exceptional because (now I've looked him up) he has a history of racial violence and could therefore have killed those Saudis? Perhaps his roles in New Kids On The Block and I Heart Huckabees involved some kind of counter-terrorist training? OK, he's waved a toy gun, bulked up his abs and committed some revolting crimes - that doesn't make him any more heroic than those passengers he's implicitly attacking for being too weak or cowardly to take on the terrorists.

I don't normally give space and attention to that parasitical class known as 'celebrities', but this outburst was more than usually repellent. To use the violent deaths of so many people as a means of ego-gratification, self-aggrandisement and self-promotion displays a level of narcissism excessive even by Hollywood standards. It sounds like the kind of moronic rage more often found in Private Eye's 'From the Message Boards' parody ('Anyone comes near my kids I swear ill do time').

Who does Wahlberg think he is? Rudy Giuliani? (Of whom Joe Biden says every sentence consists of 'a noun, a verb and 9/11').



1 comment:

Alex said...

Perhaps he's thinking of running for office?