Friday 5 December 2008

Cynical Ben will hate this


My twee, Sarah- and Postcard-loving soul thrills to the delivery today of the Belle and Sebastian BBC sessions. John Peel liked them too, so you can all sod off.

Where have all the great record companies gone? I used to collect Fierce Panda stuff, until they decided to become a super-indie rather than a launch pad for all sorts of weirdoes. Ankst used to be fun but their moment's gone. Bella Union are reliably brilliant, as are 555.

I see that my friends The Nightingales are no. 14 in the Dandelion Radio Festive 50 for last year - and they're getting better and better, mostly because we bought Alan a theremin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naxos is a good record company. I know what you mean though. Labels used to mean something whereas now they are a way of killing time before discovering the next Snow Patrol. Having said that, even discussing the concept of record 'labels' makes us very old indeed.