Friday 18 March 2011

Going down?

Anybody going to see Submarine, the new coming-of-age film? I'm feeling rather smug: I bought the hardcover book by Joe Dunthorne quite a while ago, before an adaptation was in the air, and loved it. Stupidly though, I toyed with putting it on the curriculum but decided that it wouldn't stay in print long enough.

I don't know if it'll be a good film, but the book's excellent - funny, heartfelt, dark, and blessed with fantastic unreliable narration which was what really caught my eye.

2 comments:

unluckydip said...

I've been looking forward to the film for ages, wasn't aware that it was based on a book but can't say I've particularly researched it; I've just been a fan of Richard Ayoade since Garth Marenghi's Darkplace so its that initally which perked my interest.

Seems Birmingham is the nearest place showing the film at the moment.

The Plashing Vole said...

Light House in a month…
I loved Darkplace too.