Monday 5 November 2012

Vole's election night ticker

With thanks to the Texas Tribune, keep up with the count right here!

My call: I think that Obama will win it with a fair margin of electoral college votes - into the 280s or 290s. Most of the marginal states will go for him by a narrow percentage, with the exception of Florida and possibly Wisconsin (but then Wisconsinites are Cheeseheads - ironic given the appalling quality of American cheeses).



Last election night was excellent all round. I went to see Sigur Ros playing locally and met a load of my Dutch students, who invited me back for an election night party. I seem to remember taking a shot every time a district went for Obama. I don't remember much else, other than my better nature reminding me that he's a conservative by non-American standards, and not to expect too much. As John Major said, 'fine words butter no parsnips'. Very clever man.

This election night will be a lot different: I've two lectures to give the next morning and still a bad cold. Plus the emotional weight of four years of climate change denial, drone attacks, bank-loving and rightwing economics. Still, Romney would be worse and that's the choice.

No comments: