Monday 5 March 2012

Books in…

Only two books today: Anita by Keith Roberts, the very elusive but highly talented SF and fantasy author. This one looks like a bit of pulp, to be honest, but I became a bit of a completist after reading his Pavane a few years ago. The young witch and her older peers - Granny and Aggie - make me wonder if Terry Pratchett has read Anita, while Pavane features the roadside semaphore posts that Pratchetts calls 'clacks': lots of similarities.



The other is Thomas Sowell's Intellectuals and Society, sent to me by the LSE book reviews blog - they liked my old piece on public intellectuals and have asked me to review this one. Should be fun. If anyone else has books they'd like to donate in return for some intemperate words, I'm willing. I haven't read the Sowell book yet, so won't comment at this stage, but I'm looking forward to it. It should work in tandem with Tony Judt's great book on 20th-century intellectuals.

No comments: