Friday 9 December 2011

The day's duties

OK: counselling my dissertation student - done. Very interesting proposal concerning dreams and memory in Pat Barker's novels. I'll miss the mature students who are giving up on education thanks to the new fees regime. They're single-mindedly determined to get the most out of their time here in a way I probably wasn't as a student.

I'm proof-reading an interesting paper on grand narratives of Polish migration for a colleague - a fascinating insight into how migrants framed their decisions. I've also got two internet fora on The Tempest to mark, and would like to fit in a swim before stuffing my face at our English department's Christmas curry.

Soundtrack for the day: more Kate Bush, the new Unthanks album, Trespassers William, and Ned's Atomic Dustbin.

Here's Trespassers William's cover of Ride's 'Vapour Trail', the only reason I bought their 2002 album Different Stars, and it's rather magnificent. If you liked Mazzy Star or Cowboy Junkies, you'll love this.

No comments: