Tuesday 1 November 2011

Walking to perdition…

I just gave a two hour plus lecture on conceptualising the city - Augé on super modernity and non-spaces, the Situationists, the city as contested text and the psychogeographers. Once we got past the broken projector, I feel like it was the best lecture I've given in years.

Sadly, only 6 people turned up, out of 16. And for a change, it wasn't because they knew how boring I can be, because I was guesting on a colleague's module. An assignment was due today. Ho hum. However, despite the lecture being very long, I think that at least three of the attendees enjoyed it, judging by the discussions we had along the way.

Here's a bit of Will Self talking about psychogeograpy, which I explained to the students as a form of occult pedestrian resistance.

No comments: