Monday 2 August 2010

There Can Be Only One!

Only one in the post today, though I've just ordered several (second-hand), mostly for work. The one that just came is a fascinating sociological study, Empire of Dirt: The Aesthetics and Rituals of British Indie Music by an American academic, Wendy Fonarow. It'll explain all about me… and perhaps I can turn my thesis (on masculinity in 1930s Welsh political novels) into a cult hit!

I wonder how she coped with indie's boys-together sexism, and whether she's read Louise Wener's enlightening memoir, Different for Girls.

Meanwhile, Happy Birthday to my favourite Trotskyist/Libertarian Scottish speculative fiction author, Ken MacLeod (presumably from the Clan MacLeod and related to this chap).



Burroughs, Carver and Wallace Stevens died today. Not together, mind.

No comments: