Thursday 13 May 2010

Lost in a cultural void

Trapped between election depression and marking hell, I feel my 'hinterland' is disappearing rapidly. I'm reading dissertations and non-fiction (still The Spirit Level, I'm afraid), and my research is gathering dust. Plashing Vole is becoming a wasteland of politics: buttock-faced Cameron is taking over my life.

One dissertation reminded me of a brilliant example of Daily Mail evil. The UK edition campaigned against giving teenage girls the cervical cancer vaccine, because of 'health fears'. Meanwhile, the Irish edition (usually a different front page and nothing else) campaigned, er, for giving the vaccine to teenage girls. Full coverage here.



So come on, readers, distract me. Recommend books, music and TV for the moments I snatch between awarding F grades. I get home after 10 and gormlessly stare at whatever's on. Soon I won't be able to tell the difference between Newsnight and Mitchell and Webb, or whatever else is on 'Dave'. Catching celebrity polluter Clarkson on an old QI yesterday made me apoplectically angry. But that takes me back to BumFace: they're mates.

Heeeeeeeeelllllllpppppp mmmmmeeeeeeee…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah Vole.I think it was Buffy who said "a cry for help is when you say help in a loud voice" and there you go fitting the bill.

This is quite good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGnGKKByd9k&feature=related
rhyming rap with patois and nicely edited. Might cheer you up. Probably not.

Don't forget you also have 8 courses to plan for the banquet