Thursday 13 May 2010

I Don't Mind If I Do*

As the rest of the world seems to be going back to the worst aspects of the 1980s, I've decided to trump them. You may have noticed, from my George Formby and Gracie Fields tracks, that I'm going back to the 1940s - the good bits, not the death camps.


This morning I'm listening to 40s radio comedy, specifically It's That Man Again and Much Binding in the Marsh. ITMA was a wartime sketch show, one of the first to mock public figures - 'That Man' was Hitler. Much Binding was set on an RAF base which became a country club after the war, and features much cross-class humour and pop culture references which are still actually funny.



Listen in to some (not many survived as the BBC couldn't afford to record much) here.

*Colonel Humphrey Chinstrap of ITMA turned every question into an offer of a drink.

2 comments:

Graham Quirk said...

Are you a fan of the mighty Count Arthur Strong Vole?

The Plashing Vole said...

Noooooo… I can bear it for about 5 minutes before having to turn off.