Tuesday 11 May 2010

Beach House - Devotion

This is a fairly recent purchase, though I notice that they have a (critically panned) third album out, Teen Dream. I rather like Beach House. Devotion (their second: the first is imaginatively titled Beach House) is a mix of hushed dreampop and indie with male and female vocalists backed by hushed organ. Some of it's very hummable and some, er, isn't. It is, I should warn you, a bit twee. To some of us, that's a good thing. To others, it's like a dose of the clap.




4 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

Twee is one of my favorite words, it describes a lot of the things I like - too bad it's not used very often in this side of the world.

The Plashing Vole said...

I like it too. The word's been reclaimed over here: there are even Twee Nights in bigger cities!

Dan said...

I love this record. I can't bring myself to listen to Teen Dream so good do I find this one. Her voice on the one song I heard off Teen Dream had matured quite a lot and I didn't really like it. Might investigate further now actually. I've intrigued myself.

Not sure if I'd describe it as twee though. It sounds to me like Slowdive or Catherine Wheel playing alongside Faunts with a woman singing. But then again I suppose we have different definitions of twee music - to me it would be bands like the Deirdres and Ace Bushy Striptease.

The Plashing Vole said...

Well, let's say there's a twee element there, especially to the lyrics. There definitely is Slowdive in there - but I remember Catherine Wheel as being rougher than the other shoegazers.