Thursday 1 April 2010

Today's musical masterpiece

OK, this one's genuinely cool. It's The Apples In Stereo, and their album The Discovery of a World Inside The Moone (2000).

Obviously, the 'e' on the end of 'Moon' suggests that they're hippy scum, but hold: they really aren't. Well, not entirely. They're part of the Elephant Six collective, a big bunch of Americans who seem to play in each others' bands all the time (see also The Olivia Tremor Control and Neutral Milk Hotel amongst others).

They've recorded several albums, but this is the only one I have on CD. It's brilliant - catchy, slightly weird, the sound of a band having a lot of fun. I really love 'The Bird That You Can't See', which I sent to Ben as part of an ornithology-themed 4-CD compilation. I defy you not to get it stuck in your heads. That said, it's a thin line between quirky and novelty.

However, I've just found out that they've done a Pepsi commercial, so I won't be buying any more of their music. Shame, but them's the apples.








No comments: