Friday 16 April 2010

The Sky is Falling

Have a good weekend everybody. Try not to inhale too much volcanic ash. I intend to read my extensive collection of cataclysm literature (used to be Commie Nukes, now it's the far more convincing Eco-apocalypse) in preparation for The Rapture.

I've just finished Miller's Sunshine State: a mix of (very deliberately signalled) Ballard and The Bourne Identity - excellent Iraq-derived stuff with a very downbeat ending and I'm starting Robert Edric's Salvage, a post-collapse novel set in the flooded North of England. Looks good so far. I've just finished Davies's weirdo Canadian campus novel Rebel Angels and Aldiss's sex-fixated fictionalised autobiography, The Hand-Reared Boy (how an SF writer called Brian managed to find so much material from his sex life is beyond me). The fun ends next week though - I've got to rewrite my Anne paper for journal publication and do the same for my O. M. Edwards paper for publication as a book chapter. Oh, and teach. And mark.

Stay safe out there.

No comments: