Wednesday 14 April 2010

An embarrassment of authors

I'm off now to a reading/lecture by David Calcutt, notable author of whose many books, poems and plays I've read precisely none. I'm assured that's he's very good - I'll let you know later!

In case you're around The Hegemon, it's in MC437 at 5.

Update: turns out I do know some of Calcutt's radio plays. He's now written a novel (Crowboy) which retells the Iliad in a dystopian Walsall future and sounds interesting. He was fascinating on the career of the professional author and the ways in which skills are acquired. Well worth attending, and I'll look out for his future work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A dystopian Walsall future? What's wrong with setting it in the dystopian Walsall present?

I'm teasing of course. I might go and check him out now.

The Plashing Vole said...

It's for teens, but may be good. Walsall isn't named but Calcutt says the geography is closely modelled on Walsall, which I think is dystopian already too.