Friday 19 March 2010

Down in the paper mines…

Good morning (or evening for some of you). What a week it's been - intellectually exhilarating but utterly exhausting. I've given a couple of massive lectures, taught, been on a field trip, read a PhD thesis and chunks of another one, started marking (oh god, what a vale of tears that was), planned a new module and failed to get any research done. I have managed to organise my trip to Poland (Wrocław) with the England cadet fencers next week: a seven hour coach journey just to get to Stansted for 8.00 a.m.. Amongst the activities I hate most in the world are travelling by coach and flying.

So exhausted was I that I totally forgot to attend a conference on book distribution history that promised to be fascinating (and no, I'm not being sarcastic).

Plan for the day: drool over the books I've bought (Sheridan Le Fanu's 1872 Gothic thriller Carmilla, Joanna Davies' Ffreshars (sadly, I bought it in Welsh and English), a collection of English Civil War political writing and some 1950s maps of ancient and monastic Britain. Oh yes, do some teaching…

No comments: