Thursday 19 November 2009

Sorry students!

I just talked for almost two hours on Why Iago Isn't The Bad Guy In Othello And Why God Is. Failed to build in much interaction. Still, it was a fun exercise in critical theory.

Only one session left this week… and an awful lot of marking.

Still hurting from the football. But some books have helped. On Kim and Ben's recommendation, Kathleen Jamie's Findings, and a very rare pamphlet, Decca Treuhaft's (aka Jessica Mitford's) 1956 Lifeitselfmanship, an affectionately humorous guide to Leftwing Linguistics, and a witty riposte to her sister Nancy's Noblesse Oblige, which listed U (Upper-class) and Non-U usages.

e.g.
Non-U - serviette, dentures, lounge. U - Napkin, False teeth, Hall or dining room.

Non-L: Suggesting a bum plan. L: projecting an incorrect perspective.
Non-L: Time will tell whether that plan was OK. L: The correctness of that policy will be tested in the crucible of struggle.

Lifeitselfmanship is a typed brochure with line drawings. The very few copies were sold for 1 shilling. I've just paid £30 and think it's a bargain.

7 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

I wish I could talk for two hours straight, that is talent!

Benjamin. said...

Everyone was extremely tired, Vole. Many were up all night doing the annotated bibliography and I simply don't sleep. However, it was a good lecture and very interesting when I had my eyes open as you surely noticed. The highlight was the girl in the Alice in the Wonderland attire quite brazenly giving you both a hug.

On a side note, good deal on the pamphlet.

Winter said...

Dear Demented Demon, well now you really made me interested in who you are. I´m the brazen Alice in Wonderland and I´m really happy I made your day;-)

Benjamin Judge said...

I can't take the credit for recommending Findings. It was Kim wot done it.

Benjamin. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Benjamin. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Benjamin. said...

Winter, you are full of surprises aren't you. Nice blog and now I finally see the reasoning behind your wacky clothing. You'll know me, the thick haired winter coat wearing brooding gentleman with a tie scarf. What's more interesting is the absence of your friend, where has she disappeared to? Perhaps she does not do our module; I'd ask if you ever came more regularly hence the first surprise of the day along with the hugs. That said, you caused many a heart to flutter today including my associate Hand and till next time, farewell.

Cynical Ben, did you look upon the list of winners for the Manchester Prize? All utterly terrible as my blog shows. I still cannot figure why we didn't win, nevermind eh?