Friday 13 November 2009

I had a patient in the back of my cab. Very rude man

I forgot to mention the highlight of my hospital trip. We took a taxi back. The driver opened the conversation with 'which one of you's been to the hospital then?', which I thought was a) obvious in one sense - both of us and b) nosy in the other sense. We curtly indicated which one of it was, in a 'that's very intrusive, this conversation is now over' tone, only for the cabby to follow it with 'what's wrong with you then? Is it a fever?' and shake the subject as a greedy dog might with a meaty bone.

As for his opinions on Indian partition… inaccurate, bigoted and gruesome.

5 comments:

Benjamin. said...

Another example of a questionable licensee 40 year old heavy drinker (I presume) thus underlying the fascinating idiosyncrasies of taxi drivers in this country. Some are ignorant; some are as you say bigoted whilst the rest are merely taking you for a ride, charging excessive amounts.

It's a hindrance but could we live without them? How would we get from A to B with minimal fuss?

Winter said...

This is one of the few situations I'm grateful my understanding of English is limited. Not so much now that I'm trying to pretend to myself I'm working on the asignment.
But anyway, thank you, my fairy godmather I and II, for bullying me into the Ambulance car; without that I would never have known even as intelligent man as yourself can hold prejudices against Catherine the Great. Thank you for not laughing at me.

Benjamin Judge said...

It must be awful for you when the 'help' try to make conversation eh Vole.

The Plashing Vole said...

Benjamin, that's unwarranted. Are you really suggesting that swapping medical details with a taxi driver is appropriate?

Winter - so that's who you are! I wouldn't say I'm prejudiced against Catherine the Great, merely not an expert!

Benjamin Judge said...

Vole that is exactly what I am suggesting is appropriate.