Wednesday 11 November 2009

Heeee's back!

Hello. Did you enjoy the peace and quiet while I was away? A torrent of bloggable things occurred to me - my thoughts are pretty much permanently accompanied by the sound of imaginary keys clacking these days. This is not a good thing.

However - what a waste of time yesterday was. For the second time, the case was cancelled because the accused changed his mind at the last moment. The offence occurred over a year ago. He was convicted of some charges at the Magistrate's Court some time ago, and has been in prison ever since. Six months ago I dragged myself, via three buses, to Brierley Hill Crown Court for the big event - cancelled after 6 hours in a waiting room because he sacked his lawyers. Fair enough, that's his right. The state paid for his translator to come up from London and stay overnight, and for the victims' translator to do the same. Plus the cost of the lawyers and court officials. He was then given time to instruct new representatives, but apparently decided to defend himself.

Until yesterday afternoon, when he decided that he needed lawyers after all. So another hearing will happen in a few weeks to decide that, then there'll be another hearing several months later, after the new lawyers familiarise themselves with the case. Meanwhile, the victims must be losing all faith in the system and I wouldn't be surprised to find that they give up and go back to their home country, especially with the recession biting. The accused will then go free.

I feel a bit weird sounding so angry about this. I'm utterly lefty-liberal about the justice system. Basically I think it's all wrong. Except now. This guy is genuinely and seriously mentally and physically dangerous, as I found out in the simplest way possible. I want him locked up - perhaps in a secure mental institution, perhaps in prison (I don't know what his state is) - until he isn't dangerous any more. I want him to receive the best treatment in court and afterwards, to have the benefit of all his rights, but at the same time, I know he's utterly guilty because I was involved, and there's been no benefit to anyone of all these delays, including him.

Anyway, off to write my Othello lecture. Or rewrite it.

6 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

Hard lines Voley.

Would I be so rude to send you my Milton essay? I'm struggling with it and need someone qualified to give me a kick up the arse. It's got to be in tomorrow and I'm rambling awfully.

The Plashing Vole said...

Ewar, I'm really sorry, and I'd genuinely like to read it, but there's no chance I can do it by tomorrow - there's just too much on today and tomorrow. You could always try FW though. We do like it when people want to talk about work in advance.
Sorry again.

Ewarwoowar said...

Don't be silly Voley! I'll struggle through.

Some Chilean Woman said...

Sorry you have to go through all that trial stuff, that sounds stressful.

The Plashing Vole said...

HI SCW, glad you're back online.

Anonymous said...

Can you post your OThello lecture for the interest of your blog readers?