Tuesday 27 October 2009

Yet more culture

I've just received Tove Jansson's novel for adults (not an 'adult novel'), The True Deceiver, and my ticket for The Dream of Gerontius, Elgar's massive oratorio, performed at Birmingham's wonderful Town Hall. Thus inspired, I've just bought a ticket for Symphony Hall's performance of Vaughan Williams' A Sea Symphony. It's a monstrous work, scored for full orchestra and a massive choir, with settings of Walt Whitman's poetry: not avant-garde or atonal but emotionally powerful and with thoughtful, even profound settings of unsettling poems. Cheap tickets for students and young people (though not for me…).

2 comments:

intelliwench said...

I'm going to try and make it to "Octubafest" this evening :P

The Plashing Vole said...

Brilliant - sounds excellent.
http://www.jsumner.net/OcTUBA.html