Thursday 22 October 2009

Thursday conundrum

Will you be watching Question Time this evening (for non-UK people: it's a debate show with politicians, pitching up in a different town each week to answer questions from the audience)? Should the BNP be on, and how should the panel treat Nick Griffin?

I think the BNP should be there. There's no point blaming the BBC for giving airtime to fascists: the population has elected two of these lizards to the European Parliament and many more to local councils. The BBC has a duty to impartially give airtime to all shades of legal opinion. I don't think the BNP should be a legal party, but it is, so the political class should spend less time critiquing the BBC and more time destroying the BNP's arguments. It shouldn't be that hard, as they're dumb arguments. Pulling tricks or finding weaselly ways out of confronting the BNP and persuading its supporters that there are better philosophies is cowardly. Face them, argue with them, demonstrate their errors. Don't treat them like bogey men: bullies like it when you show fear.

3 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

Agreed with all that.

I shall be watching, although I do every week. God knows why, considering within 5 minutes I'm raging at some audience member saying something stupid.

Sue's Blog said...

It comes to something when the BNP can have their say and students can’t.
I’ll be watching Question Time – it should be really exciting tonight!

Ewarwoowar said...

Agreed, Sue.

(FAO my normal readers or curious people - I have blogged, but it's not appearing on the blogging lists on everyone's blogs, even though I published it about 6 hours ago. So, just letting you know! God knows why, it's not brilliant.)