Thursday 29 October 2009

Hail shining morn…

Good morning all. I'm still feeling ill, but not so grumpy. I've got a full day's marking ahead of me, but there's Idlewild in Birmingham tonight. They started off as generic postpunk/indie, then got gradually more interesting in the way that few bands now have the chance: if the first LP isn't a hit, you get dropped.

Which is surprising really, as my School held a kind of Nuremburg rally last night. I didn't attend - I sat in the other half of the canteen, grumpily masticating 'food' and reading the new Iain Banks (average, at best). Nevertheless, I could hear a gospel choir (sensitive cultural choice for a very culturally mixed institution) - which was appropriate, given that prayer is the only option left to us now. Rumour has it that the bigwigs' speeches were written not by our illustrious leaders, but by another much put-upon individual. If that's true, it's both appalling and indicative of the intellectual level of our management. Additionally, those who attended apparently, allegedly, got to watch the limited amounts of booze and food scoffed by the 'special' guests…

First they came for our name ('humanities' has been dropped, rather significantly), then they came for our canapés.

You all know where these quotes originate:
"ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS"
"No question now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

2 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

It was an odd night, I wondered what on earth was going on in the canteen. A load of 'suits' looking rather jolly about something whilst I was buying my dinner.

I did walk past you last night Voley, on the street, but you were in convo with Dr AC, and he scares me, so I didn't hang around.

(Finally, I have blogged again, but no blog feed thing is picking it up, which is amusing.)

The Plashing Vole said...

I thought I spotted you, but was quite distracted. AC's a good guy, but quite hard to get to know. Will check your page - the feed updates are very random.