Thursday 13 August 2009

"This must be Thursday," said Arthur musing to himself, sinking low over his beer, "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

I am forsaking you, leaving you to wander the streets clutching bottles of Mad Dog 20/20 (great website, by the way), staring with mute desperation at passers-by, imploring them to pretend to be Plashing Vole for just a few seconds.

In other words, I'm having a long weekend, returning to my keyboard on Tuesday afternoon, probably.

Which means you'll be needing a Friday conundrum to keep you going.

What snippets of high or popular culture summarise your understanding of the world?

There are so many for me. I loved Marvin the Paranoid Android's observation that 'the dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning', and the talkshow host's claim on The Simpsons that 'your tears say more than real evidence ever could'. Arthur Dent is quite a hero, and I'm just not getting into the Peep Show debate. Chris Morris has a peculiarly accurate though misanthropic approach to life.

Arthur Dent (from Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series:
I seem to be having this tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle. As soon as I reach some kind of definite policy about what is my kind of music and my kind of restaurant and my kind of overdraft, people start blowing up my kind of planet and throwing me out of their kind of spaceships!
"This Arthur Dent," comes the cry from the farthest reaches of the galaxy, and has even now been found inscribed on a deep space probe thought to originate from an alien galaxy at a distance too hideous to contemplate, "what is he, man or mouse? Is he interested in nothing more than tea and the wider issues of life? Has he no spirit? Has he no passion? Does he not, to put it in a nutshell, fuck?"
The regular early morning yell of horror was the sound of Arthur Dent waking up and suddenly remembering where he was.
Those who wish to know should read on. Others may wish to skip on to the last chapter which is a good bit and has Marvin in it.
Marvin:

Wearily I sit here, pain and misery my only companions. And vast intelligence, of course. And infinite sorrow.

Why stop now just when I'm hating it?

Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.


Douglas Adams:
I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

George Eliot:
The world outside the books is not a happy one, Maggie felt (from The Mill on the Floss).

Meanwhile, here are a few lines from Iain Sinclair's Downriver, just because I like them:
A shifty unshaven polymath nebbish, with a cocky drone, and a patter so tedious it could have been marketed as a blood-coagulant, was lecturing a dangerously healthy-looking Californian couple. They were shrink-wrapped, sterile, irradiated like a pair of Death Valley grapes. They socked vitamin-enhanced aerobic vitality at you, so hard you could wish on them nothing but a catalogue of all the most repellent diseases of skin and bone and tissue; all the worst back numbers from the cursing books of Ur, Uruk and Kish. You were obliged to super-impose on their boastful skeletons the historic treasures of old London: growths, malignancies, rickets, nose-warts, furry haemorrhoids, palsies, fevers, sweats, bubos, wens, mouth-fungus, trembles, and pox scabs.

It's a great book - much more wordy, as you can see from this excerpt, than my usual taste, but it's got breadth of imagination and a real nasty swipe at the wideboys, bankers, property developers and all that crew who happily demolished old London to build poxy designer flats for yuppies. It's therefore a very good book to be reading in the midst of our current situation.

5 comments:

Benjamin. said...

Popular culture film quotations are usually taken from Scarface, Fight Club closely followed by Anchorman. Rather than thread the same path, I find this quote rather apt.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau 1712 - 1778
1762 - Du Contrat social

"Man was born free,
and everywhere he is in chains."

Not forgetting Shakespeare's high cultural words of wisdom:

"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them". William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night.

Enjoy your long weekend, Vole.

Dan said...

I quite like the very English quotes off the early British movies. Stiff upper lip stuff. I can't think of one off the top of my head - mainly as this is a segway to a question I'd be grateful if you could help with.

Any idea why e-vision has a timetable for Ken Page's lecture British Cinema 1930-45 yet doesn't recognise the module code when we who want to do it try to register it?

Thanks in advance.

Marvin The Paranoid Android is brilliant. I take some heart in a quote I know shouldn't.

"One is always considered mad when one perfects someting that others cannot grasp." Ed Wood

Yes, that Ed Wood. Have a good break.

Kate said...

Well obviously, the Wire. Joy's interactions with her sister in the Todd Solandz film 'Happiness'. Also 'Getting On' which was on BBC4recently - like The Thick of It but in the NHS, genius. Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe/Newswipe definitely summarise Matt and I's understanding of the world best, and for myself I would also have to say Eeyore, who, when asked how he is by Pooh proclaims 'not very how'. I also feel that many of the people I have to interact with to get things done, i.e. 'customer service' people etc 'haven't got brains any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake'. Cheery aren't I?

intelliwench said...

Wordsworth's "The World is Too Much With Us" keeps striking a chord with me, Mr. Vole.

Robert Heinlein also imparted much wisdom, e.g. "What [women] are and what they can do makes them superior to men, and their proper tactic is to demand special privileges, all the traffic will bear. They should never settle merely for equality."

Happy long weekend!

The Plashing Vole said...

All very inspiring! Thank you!