Saturday 25 July 2009

One of those perfect days

Just a quick hello as I have a quiet five minutes. I've spent the day with Neal, Dan and Georgie, Dan's social worker. Well, girlfriend. We had a wander round my mother's lovely garden, pursued by hens, and then around the Dorothy Clive garden, nodding sagely while Dan and Georgie named various flowers and stuff. I took a few good pictures, including several of a very obliging rabbit, and ate wonderful ice-cream. I'll post some when I get back to the office. 

Then it was off to a antiques craft village (Dagfields Farm), where I managed to spend £30 on books in very little time, despite not having a working cash card yet… it's hard to resist two beautiful 1895/1896 pocket editions of Tennyson ('Locksley Hall' and Other Poems, 'The Spinster's Sweet-Arts' and Other Poems), another Left Book Club edition (Ruth Gruber's I Went to the Soviet Arctic, 1939), Susannah Radstone's Sweet Dreams, about sexuality and gender in popular fiction, a Moomins book I now realise I already have, a good Faber edition of Selected Poems of Louis MacNeice, John Christopher's The Year of the Comet and an M. John Harrison novel I hadn't previously seen, The Committed Men

Best of all, I hardly scraped the surface of the place and will have to return again, and again, and again…

3 comments:

Benjamin. said...

M.John Harrison is a judge for the Manchester Young Persons Writer award so I've read pieces of his work to get his frame of mind. It is surreal, to say the least.

Any information you have on him, Nicholas Royle and Sarah Hall... do tell me, Vole. I wouldn't say my life depended on it but to an extent, it does within the ghetto we live in and the mayhem after the gig I attended at the Wulfrun tonight.

Kate said...

If you had a pound for every book you bought/had bought for you that you already had, would you be a millionaire?! ;-)

Kate said...

Just been on the garden website, looks great, I must go!